Security News #0x2E: Merry Christmas to all!
- Did you know that Java 6 will auto-update to Java 7 (on Windows) this month?
- Threatpost discusses the work of Ang Cui who has demonstrated ways to use Cisco phones as entry points to compromise a larger network.
- The DC3 2013 Digital Forensic Challenge has begun!
- Some malware tools use beacons, where they regularly initiate external connections to upload data or receive command and control information. The folks at Geekery give an approach to beacon detection using Splunk.
- Eric Romang has a nice timeline of some of the major vulnerabilities from 2012.